Henry2 Hoover (Andrew1) was born about 1/4 Dec 1748, probably in Ellerstadt, Germany. He came to the United States with his family in 1754 at the age of 6.
He lived in Maryland most likely through at least 1776 when he was fined for not contributing to the Revolutionary war effort. He went with his family to Fayette County, Pennsylvania probably sometime around 1779. He was listed in the tax records of Union Township, Fayette County in 1785—1787, and 1789. He was of Whitely Township, Green County, Pennsylvania at the time of the 1810 US Census, but had moved to Johnstown, Monroe Township, Ohio by the time of the 1820 US Census and was possibly there by 1811. He died on 23 Sep 1823 in Johnstown, Monroe Township, Licking County, Ohio.
In Feb 1769 at the age of 21, Henry married Eve Hamline/Henlein, probably near Leitersburg or Hagerstown, Maryland. Eve was born on 3 Mar 1751, also in Germany; she died in Johnstown on 10 Jun 1826. The couple was buried at the West Coshocton St. Cemetery in Johnstown.
Henry was a co-executor of his father’s estate along with Henry Beeson. Henry ended up with most of his father’s property. His brother Andrew Jr. purchased the land their brother John had inherited, then sold it to Henry. Jacob sold his piece of their father’s land to Henry on 5 Jul 1790. Only brother George held on to his land, deeding part of it to John Hoover—possibly his son—in 1811.
Henry and Eve (Hamline) Hoover had the following children:
- George3 Hoover was born ca 1771, aged 5 in 1776, near Hagerstown, Maryland. He may have moved to Licking County, Ohio with his father as there is a George Hoover, aged 50-60, in Johnstown in the 1830 US Census.
- Elizabeth Hoover was born circa 1772, near Hagerstown, Maryland. No more is known.
- Andrew Hoover was born 25 Jan 1775 in Fayette County, Pennsylvania and died 20 Apr 1821 in German Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Andrew married Frances McClure on 14 Sep 1800 in Fayette County. She was born 20 Feb 1779 and died 16 Feb 1850. She was buried with her husband in the Harrison Graveyard. Andrew and Frances had five children:
- Abraham4 Hoover was born 18 Nov 1801 and died 2 Sep 1807.
- Rebecca Hoover was born 6 Jun 1802 and died 26 Apr 1864. She married Nathaniel Darrall
- Harriet Hoover was born 29 Nov 1806 and died 2 Sep 1807.
- Maria Hoover was born 22 Apr 1809 and died 6 Sep 1896. She married a Ramsay.
- Thomas Hoover was born 5 Feb 1814 and died 12 Dec 1857. He was a farmer of German Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
- Catharine Hoover was born circa 1776, most likely near Hagerstown, Maryland and died 10 Oct 1813 in Licking County, Ohio. She married John Duke, son of Francis and Sarah (Shepherd) Duke. This couple had nine children, seven of whom were:
- Levi4 Hoover Duke was born 12 May 1795 in Brooke County, Virginia (now West Virginia) and died 17 May 1889 in Licking County, Ohio. He married Persis (___).
- David Duke was born 27 May 1797 in Brooke County, Virginia and died 23 Sep 1888, Licking County, Ohio.
- William Duke was born 13 Jun 1799 in Brooke County, Virginia.
- Sarah Duke was born 26 Apr 1802 in Brooke County, Virginia and died 20 Jun 1866.
- Henry Duke was born 9 Oct 1806 in Licking County, Ohio and died 20 Apr 1860.
- John Shepherd Duke was born 9 Aug 1808 and died circa 1830.
- George Duke was born 13 Sep 1811 in Licking County, Ohio.
- Barbara Hoover was born circa 1778 in either Maryland or Fayette County, Pennsylvania. She married Levi Baker.
- Emanuel Hoover was born circa 1780, most likely in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. He died 13 Jul 1826 in Johnstown, Monroe Township, Licking County, Ohio. He married Mary Mitchellabout 1803, probably in Fayette County. The couple probably had at least two children:
- Mahlon M.Hoover was born circa 1804 near Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania and died 6 Sep 1873 in Ohio. He married twice, first to Ruhama Williams, and second to Mary C. Ashbrook.
- James Hoover was born circa 1808, probably near Uniontown and died sometime between 1870 and 1880 in Harlem Township, Delaware County, Ohio. He married Nancy Perfect about 1842.
- Jacob Hoover was born circa 1782, probably in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. No more is known.
- Esther Hoover was born circa 1784, probably in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. No more is known.
- Eve Hoover was born 17 Sep 1786, probably in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. She may have married first Richard Phillips, then Sampson Violett on 15 Dec 1815 in Johnstown, Monroe Township, Licking County, Ohio. No more is known.
- Henry Hoover Jr. was born 26 Oct 1788 in German Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. He died 4 Apr 1844 also in German Township. Circa 1811, Henry married Sarah Harrison. She died 4 Apr 1837. The couple had children, as follows:
- Mary Hoover was born 17 Aug 1811 and died 28 Feb 1813.
- Jacob Harrison Hoover was born 13 Apr 1813 and died 4 Mar 1854. He married on 15 Mar 1840 Catherine Ann Beard. This couple had five children: Sarah Elizabeth, James Henry, Jesse Veech, Thomas A., and Margaret Jane.
- Rebecca G. Hoover was born 17 Mar 1815 and died 15 Dec 1839.
- Jesse W. Hoover was born 27 Apr 1817 and died before 1912.
- Lucinda Hoover was born 23 Jul 1819 and died before 1912.
- Robert H. Hoover was born 19 Sep 1822 and died 16 Oct 1843.
- Jonas S. Hoover was born 6 Jul 1825 and died before 1912.
- Andrew Jackson Hoover was born 15 Sep 1825 and died 18 Nov 1851.
- Sarah Lavilla Hoover was born 8 Jun 1834 and died 21 Mar 1852.
- Sarah Hoover was born circa 1790, probably near Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. She may have married a Slater.
I believe some of the other Licking County Hoover families may be closely related to this Henry Hoover, possibly through his brother John. I am seeking any information on the Licking County Hoover families…
- Maryland Historical Magazine (Baltimore, Maryland: Maryland Historical Society, unknown), Vol. 12, pages 262-265 and Vol. 13, pages 244-247 ↩
- Union Township, Fayette County Tax lists ↩
- Henry Hoover household, 1810 United States Census, Greene County, Pennsylvania, Whitely Township; Fayette County Deeds, Book L: 149, Eve Hoover of Licking County, wife of Henry Hoover, released land to Daniel Butler. ↩
- Hoover, Luella Schaumburg, “Some Descendants of Andrew Hoover” (typescript; State Library, Pennsylvania), page 43 ↩
- Fayette County Will Book, Vol. 1:1 ↩
- Fayette County Deeds, Book A: 36-37 ↩
- Fayette County Deeds, Book A: 337 ↩
- Fayette County Deed, Book K: 10-11 ↩
- Hoover Family Bible: Selected entries from the Journals of Josiah V. Thompson (USGenWeb Archive submission by Lynn Beatty), page 173; However, Andrew II was most likely born in Maryland as his father was still there in 1776. ↩
- Smyth, Samuel Gordon, A Genealogy of the Duke-Shepherd-Van Metre Family (Lancaster, Pennsylvania: New Era Printing Company, 1909), page 353-356; The author presumes Catharine to be the daughter of Jacob and Mary (___) Hoover. However, we know by their wills that their daughter Catharine married a Shoemaker ↩
- Jordan, John Woolf, Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette and Greene Counties(NewYork: Lewis Historical Society Publishing Company, 1912), Volume 1, Page 275-276. ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Henry Hoover (ca 1748—1823),” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 9 Nov 2013 (http://www.krishocker.com/family-group-sheets/andrew-huber-sr/henry-hoover/ : accessed 22 Dec 2014).
Content copyright © Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.