John Witmer was born 15 January 1811 in eastern Pennsylvania and died 21 May 1885 in Milford Township, Bucks County.1 About 1832, he married Rachel Jones, daughter of Henry Jones and presumably Martha Bartleson. She was born 5 March 1809 in Hilltown Township, Bucks County and died on 10 September 1897.2 Both John and Rachel were buried in the old section of the cemetery at Christ Church in Trumbauersville.
John appears on tax records for Milford Township from 1837 through 1853 on Ancestry and census records from 1840 through 1880.
In 1880, John and Rachel were residing next door to their son Eli J. Witmer and his family in Milford Township.3 John was a 69-year-old farmer and Rachel, aged 71, was keeping house.
Their children Susanna, Abel, Eli, and Catharine, aged 14 through 27, were still living at home with John and Rachel in 1870.4 John’s occupation was listed as “Super Wiser.” Daughter Susanna was working as a “taylor,” Abel was attending school, Eli was a farm laborer, and Catharine was a domestic servant.
In 1860, John and Rachel were living in Milford next door to a Jacob and Susanna “Witemer,” quite likely John’s parents.5 Jacob was 73-years-old and Susanna was 71. John and Rachel’s children John, Milton, Eli, Catharine and William were all living in their household. John was a farmer, while Jacob was a retired farmer.
John was working as a “huckster” or peddler in 1850.6 His household included: wife Rachel, children Edward, Henry, William, Mary Ann, Susan, John, Able, Milton, and 70-year-old Henry Jones, Rachel’s father.
In 1840, John can be found living near his brothers-in-law Levi Jones and Lewis Jones.7 John’s household included: two males under 5 [Henry and William], one male 5-10 [Edward], one male 15-20 [?], one male 20-30 [John], and one female 20-30 [Rachel]. Henry Jones was likely the 50-60 year-old man in Lewis Jones’ household.
John Witmer and Rachel Jones had the following children:
- Edward Jones Witmer (1833-1912), married Lydia Amanda Kline
- Henry Witmer (1835-1907), married Caroline Keller
- William Jones Witmer (1839-1919), married Elizabeth Hinkel
- Mary Ann Witmer (1840-1880)
- Susan Witmer (1843-1931)
- John Jones Witmer (1844-1909), married Lavinia Nicholas
- Abel Jones Witmer (1846-1915), married Sabina Schreiber, Hattie Glassmeyer
- Milton Jones Witmer (c1848-1910), married Sarah Pedrick
- Eli Jones Witmer (1850-1930), married Caroline Harwick
- Catherine Witmer (c1856-?), married Leidy Benner
This post is part of a blogging challenge entitled 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, created by Amy Crow of No Story Too Small in 2014. Participants were to write about one ancestor every week. I’m revisiting this challenge for 2017. This is my fourteenth 52 Ancestors post, and a make-up post for week thirteen.
- John Witmer record, Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 17 Aug 2013); Record, John Witmer (1811-1885), Memorial #102171948, Records of the Christ Church, Trumbauersville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania;” record copyright Tom Myers, created 14 Dec 2012. ↩
- Rachel Jones Witmer record, Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, database (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 17 Aug 2013); Record, Rachel Witmer (1809-1897), Memorial #102171971, Records of the Christ Church, Trumbauersville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania;” record copyright Tom Myers, created 14 Dec 2012. ↩
- 1880 United States Federal Census, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Milford Township, dwelling 99, family 116, John Witmer household; image, Internet Archive, “Population schedules of the tenth census of the United States, 1880, Pennsylvania” (https://archive.org : accessed 16 Jan 2014); citing NARA micropublication T9, roll 1106. ↩
- 1870 United States Census, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, post office: Steinsburgh, Milford Township, page 56 (written), dwelling 433, family 469, John Wittimore household; index and image, FamilySearch, “United States Census, 1870” (https://familysearch.org : accessed 16 Jan 2014), FHL microfilm 000552812; citing NARA microfilm publication M593, roll 1313. ↩
- 1860 United States Federal Census, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Milford Township, page 264, dwelling 561, family 570, John Witimer household; jpeg online; Internet Archives, “Population schedules of the Eighth Census of the United States, 1860, Pennsylvania” (http://www.archive.org : accessed 16 Jan 2014; citing NARA micropublication M653, roll 1082. ↩
- 1850 United States Federal Census, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Milford Township, page 161B, dwelling 462, family 485,John Witemer household; index and image, Ancestry, “1850 United States Federal Census” (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 10 Apr 2013); citing NARA micropublication M432, roll 759. ↩
- 1840 United States Federal Census, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, Milford Township, page 272, line 8, John Widmer household; digital image, Internet Archive, “Population schedules of the sixth census of the United States, 1840, Pennsylvania” (https://archive.org : accessed 16 Jan 2014); citing NARA micropublication M704, roll 447. ↩