My great great grandfather Emanuel John Wieder was born on 11 November 1855, most likely in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.1 He was the youngest son of Saulus and Anna (Mechling) Wieder of Lower Milford Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.
On 10 June 1878, he married Alavesta “Vesta” Esther Dillinger, daughter of Willam D. and Helena (Person) Dillinger of Lehigh County. She was born 19 Oct 1857, likely in Upper Milford Township.2
E.J. Wieder, Sr. was initially a teacher and a farmer, but—due to health concerns, I believe—became a bank cashier, working his way up to bank president by 1929.3 He built a house on main street in Pennsburg in 1902 and moved his family from the farm in Lower Milford Township into town.4
He died of stomach cancer on 26 July 1929 in Pennsburg and was buried in St. Mark’s Union Church cemetery on the 30th.5 Vesta had died on 11 January 1923 in Pennsburg of angina and Bright’s disease. She was buried in St. Mark’s Union Church cemetery on the 16th.6
E.J. and Vesta had the following children:
- Edwin J. Wieder (29 March 1880—22 January 1960) married Mary Catharine Waage (27 October 1877—28 November 1970)
- Cora Anna Wieder (June 1886—1964) married Vallandingham S. Trumbore (23 October 1883—August 1968)
- John William Wieder (1 September 1887—November 1972) married Katherine Jane Gruelich (22 March 1887—September 1960)
Photo courtesy of John William Wieder Jr.
- Emanuel J. Wieder, death certificate no. 76578 (1929), Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle; Informant: E.J. Wieder of Pennsburg, Pennsylvania. ↩
- Alavesta E. Wieder, death certificate no. 19682 (1923), Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle; informant: E.J. Wieder of Pennsburg, Pennsylvania. ↩
- Emanuel Wieder household, 1900 United States Federal Census, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Lower Milford Township, enumeration district 39, sheet 7A (written)/169A (stamped), dwelling 150, family 154, lines 46-49; index and image, Ancestry.com, “1900 United States Federal Census” (https://www.ancestry.com : accessed 7 Apr 2013); citing NARA micropublication T623, roll 1429; and Emanuel J. Wieder, death certificate (1929). ↩
- “Brief News Notes,” Town and Country, Saturday, 13 December 1902, page not recorded. ↩
- Emanuel J. Wieder, death certificate (1929). ↩
- Alavesta E. Wieder, death certificate (1923). ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Surname Saturday: Emanuel John Wieder,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 7 Apr 2013 (http://www.krishocker.com/surname-saturday-emanuel-john-wieder/ : accessed 5 Jul 2015).
Content copyright © 2013 Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.