Years ago I found reference to a Christian Hoover of Gaskill Township, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania who was drafted along with Augustus Kinter and Samuel T. Hoover during the Civil War.1 I’ve always wondered if this were my ancestor Christian Hoover. Today, I may have found my answer.
Christian’s sons Simon and George Hoover were born in Jefferson County.2,3 It’s extremely likely that his other sons were, too. I found Caroline Hoover and her sons Reuben and Samuel living in Henderson Township, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania in the 1860 United States Census.4 The head of household is listed as Catharine Hoover.
This places the family in Jefferson County, but adds a mystery. Where is Christian and why is his family living with Catharine Hoover? Who is Catharine Hoover? I’ve yet to answer any of these questions…
But I’m now reasonably sure that the Christian Hoover drafted from Gaskill Township was my ancestor.
This image is the draft registration record for Christian Hoover of Gaskill Township, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania.5 It states that he was 44 years old, with gray(?) eyes, brown hair, and fair skin, standing 5′ 11″ tall. This description is a reasonably good match to the one image we have of Christian (see below). I believe the record date was 11 Apr 1865.
According to the record, he was born in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania and was a farmer. His age and birth in Armstrong County makes him a likely match to the son of Philip and Hannah (Thomas) Hoover, my presumptive ancestors. Since my GGG grandfather’s sons were born in Jefferson County, his family was living in Jefferson County in 1860, and he was likely born in Armstrong County, this record is likely a match to him, as well.6
Later in the list are both Samuel T. Hoover and Augustus Kinter. Samuel T. Hoover was the son of Samuel and Sarah (Thomas) Hoover, brother and sister respectively of Philip and Hannah (Thomas) Hoover. My GGG grandfather named his second son Samuel Thomas Hoover, possibly after this cousin. Augustus Kinter was likely a relative of Samuel T. Hoover’s wife Christianna Kinter.
- Scott, Kate M., History of Jefferson County, Pennsylvania (D. Mason & Co. Publishers. 1888), page 209; The list from the township included: Joseph Young, John Winslow, Christian Hoover, Henry Sheesly, George Keller, James M. Bowers, Peter Bowser, Isaac Bowers, Jacob Bowser, William Crossman, William M’Kee, John P. Murray, William E. Coffman, Augustus Kinter, Daniel Cornman, Jacob Smith, Levi Shirley, Lewis May, John Brooks, Augustus Winslow, George Shirley, Peter Welder, Robert Swartz, Solomon Bowers, James Dougherty, Samuel P. Hoover ↩
- Simon Edward Hoover, Certificate of Death, 31 May 1933, Davis, Tucker County, West Virginia, Mrs. L. H. Mott, State of West Virginia, Collection of Kristen Hocker; This record states that Simon was born in Jefferson County. ↩
- George Hoover, Certificate of Death, 21 Jan 1930, Cameron county, Pennsylvania, File number 1799, F.G. Judd, Collection of Kristen Hocker. ↩
- Catharine Hoover household, 1860 United States Census, Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Brown’s Mills post office, Henderson Township, page 165, dwelling 334, family 334, lines 31-34; National Archives micropublication M653, roll 118, viewed 7 Apr 2011 ↩
- Ancestry.com, U.S. Civil War Draft Registrations Records, 1863-1865 (database online), Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010; Original data: Consolidated Lists of Civil War Draft Registrations, 1863-1865, NM-65, entry 172, 620 volumes; Records of the Provost Marshal General’s Bureau (Civil War), Record Group 110, National Archives, Washington D.C. ↩
- Simon Edward Hoover, Certificate of Death, 31 May 1933, Davis, Tucker County, West Virginia, Mrs. L. H. Mott, State of West Virginia, Collection of Kristen Hocker; This record states that Christian was born in Armstrong County. ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Christian Hoover’s Civil War Draft Registration,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 12 Jan 2012 (http://www.krishocker.com/christian-hoovers-civil-war-draft-registration/ : accessed 2 Jul 2015).
Content copyright © 2012 Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.