I’ve been working on my Hacker/Hocker family book recently and am wondering what to do with the unconnected Hacker and Hocker families in my database. Ideally, I’d like to be able to trace them back and identify parents and other family members. Realistically, I may not be able to do so.
For the purposes of the book, I’ll most likely include them in either separate chapters or appendices. In the past I’ve shared some of these families here on the website. I thought I’d list out these families in hope that someone out there recognizes them and might have some clues to offer…
Adam and Eve (Hamaker) Hocker
Adam Hocker was born 19 October 1812 and died 26 September 1870. He was buried in Churchville Cemetery in Oberlin, Swatara Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. On 22 February 1838, he married Eve Hamaker, daughter of Adam and Magdalena (Snavely) Hamaker of Derry Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. She was born 24 June 1817 and died 14 November 1892. She was buried with her husband in Churchville Cemetery. The family lived in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
Adam and Eve (Hamaker) Hocker had children:
- Jacob H. Hocker (10 Jan 1839-1 Mar 1911) m1. Catharine Eshnour (ca 1838-31 Dec 1862), m2. Barbara A. Leonhart
- John Hocker (17 Jan 1841-18 Feb 1905) m. Rebecca Brenner (26 Nov 1842-19 Jul 1928)
- Adam H. Hocker (15 Jan 1843-11 Jun 1902) m. Martha Shope
- Mary Elizabeth Hocker (ca 1844/5-?) m. George Cumbler (31 Oct 1841-14 Apr 1904)
- Sarah Hocker (19 Sep 1848-13 Apr 1930) m. Peter Page
- Dr. David R. Hocker (1 Dec 1850-21 Nov 1887) m. Hettie Esther Rudy (3 Jan 1854-11 May 1894)
- Malinda Hocker (Jan 1853-aft 1920) m. Wilson G. Smith
- Martin M. Hocker (15 May 1855-25 Apr ?) m. Mary Elizabeth Marbuger (9 Apr 1856-5 Aug 1918)
- Anna C. Hocker (1859/60-?) m. Charles Leonhart
John and Sarah (Beinhower) Hocker
John Hocker was born 6 July 1815 and died 21 January 1882 in Swatara Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. He was buried in Churchville Cemetery. On 3 December 1835, he married Sarah Beinhower, daughter of John Peter and Mary Ann (Smith) Beinhower). She was born 12 January 1814 and died 12 November 1901. She, too, was buried in Churchville Cemetery. The family lived in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania.
John and Sarah (Beinhower) Hocker had one child:
- Maria Ann/Anna Maria Hocker (2 Jan 1840-11 Sep 1873/83) m. Christian Gingrich (4 Mar 1837-8 Sep 1886)
Jacob and Maria (Krieg) Hacker
Jacob Hacker was born 28 September 1803 in Lancaster County and died 26 July 1873. He was buried in Emanuel Lutheran Church cemetery in Brickerville, Elizabeth Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Circa 1841, he married Maria Krieg, daughter of John Elias and Anna Maria (Gibbons) Krieg. She was born 5 August 1819 and died 22 March 1898. The family lived in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
Jacob and Maria (Krieg) Hacker had children:
- William Harvey Hacker (ca 1841-bef 1873)
- Elias K. Hacker (Jun 1845-6 Nov 1920) m. Isabella Weidman (11 Nov 1846-31 Jan 1912)
- Allen K. Hacker (31 Mar/1 Apr 1847-24 Mar 1928) m. Lydia Eitnier (5 Sep 1850-12 Jul 1925)
- Martin Kissinger Hacker (25 Jan 1850-16 Nov 1906) m. Annie Kissinger (27 Jun 1863-5 Apr 1894), m2. Sadie Bates (Jan 1881-aft 1915)
- Henry K. Hacker (16 Sep 1852-3 Oct 1925) m. Kate (___)
- Benjamin K. Hacker (Apr 1856-1938) m. Annie H. (___)
Jacob R. and Sarah (___) Hacker
Jacob R. Hacker was born 26 August 1838 and died 16 February 1906 in Ephrata. He was buried in Bowman’s Cemetery in Ephrata. Circa 1870, he married Sarah (___). She was born 6 February 1849 and died 26 July 1921. The family lived in Lancaster and Lebanon counties.
Jacob R. and Sarah (___) Hacker had children:
- Franklin K. Hacker (ca Dec 1870-1952) m. Maggie M. Rishel (ca Sep 1876-1957)
- Amanda K. Hacker (ca 1872-?) m. John S. Turner (ca 1873/4-?)
- Jacob Hacker (Feb 1879-aft 1910)
- Emma K. Hacker (Dec 1883-?) m. Frank A. Crall (ca 1881-?)
- Annie K. Hacker ( May 1886-?) m. William I. Mull (ca 1885-?)
- Elizabeth Hacker (Nov 1888-?)
- Lottie Hacker (27 Aug 1892-11 Nov 1895)
Rev. Dr. Thomas Jefferson and Susan (Meckly) Hacker
Thomas Jefferson Hacker was born 24 September 1854 in Lincoln, Lancaster County and died 4 March 1924 in Wyomissing, Berks County. He was the son of Levi and Harriet (Yagle) Hacker. Circa 1874/5, he married Susan Meckly, daughter of William and Lucinda (___) Meckly. She was born 25 December 1855 and died 31 January 1943. The couple are both buried in Bergstrasse Cemetery in Ephrata.
T.J. and Susan (Meckly) Hacker had one child, a son:
- Dr. Oswald William Hacker (24 Oct 1875-14 Jul 1915)
Maurice Elwood and Margaret Wilhelmina (Murray) Hacker
Maurice Elwood Hacker was born 28 July 1868 in Akron, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and died 21 Dec 1915. He was buried in Mt. Tunnel Cemetery in Elizabethtown. On 23 February 1894, he married Margaret Wilhelmina Murray in Lancaster County. She was born 22 September 1870 and died 3 January 1955. She, too, was buried in Mt. Tunnel Cemetery.
The couple had children:
- Ida M. Hacker (ca 1897-?) m. Joseph J. Faltine?
- Margaret S. Hacker (ca 1899-?)
- Maurice M. Hacker (27 Oct 1900-27 May 1901)
- Harry F. Hacker (ca 1902-?)
- Florence M. Hacker (ca 1905-?)
- Frederick C. Hacker (26 Jun 1908-2 Dec 1908)
- John E. Hacker (28 Jul 1910-11 Aug 1996)
In addition to these families, there are several from Wingeard’s genealogy that I’m researching and wondering about, questioning their placement in the family tree. More on them later.
Do you have Hacker/Hockers from Pennsylvania that you’re researching? Drop me a line and tell me all about them.
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Loose Leaves: Unaligned Hacker/Hockers in My Family Database,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 7 Apr 2012 (http://www.krishocker.com/loose-leaves-unaligned-hackerhockers-in-my-family-database/ : accessed 6 Mar 2015).
Content copyright © Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.