So, for a twist on the Matrilineal Monday blogging meme, I thought I’d post my matrilineal lines back to the earliest female ancestors.
My Mom’s Matrilineal Line
Mildred “Mims” Esther Wieder, daughter of Edwin J. Wieder and Mary Catherine Waage, was born 23 Dec 1912 in Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania1 and died 30 Jun 2002 in Lansdale, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.2 She married Russell Roy Greulich on 12 Jun 1937 in Norristown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.3 She was a physical education teacher at the time of her marriage and worked for years at a bank in Landsdale before retiring. She had three children—two sons and a daughter (my Mom).
Mary Catherine “Mae” Waage, daughter of Dr. Charles Theodore Waage and Lydia S. Eshbach, was born 27 Oct 1877 in Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania4 and was baptized on 29 Nov 1877 by Rev. Frederick Waage, her grandfather.5 She died 28 Nov 1970 in Quakertown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.6 Mae was married to Edwin J. Wieder on 19 Apr 1905 in Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania by her uncles Rev. Jacob Kehm and Rev. Oswin F. Waage.7 Mae and Edwin had three daughters—Gertrude Glenna (1907—1963), Mildred Esther (1912—2002), and Helen Doris (1917—2011).
Lydia S. Eshbach, daughter of Henry M. Eschbach and Catharine Lydia Bobb, was born 3 Oct 1845 in Albertis, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania and died 7 May 1910 in Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.8 She married on 29 Aug 1876 Dr. Charles T. Waage.9 Lydia and Charles had one child that I know about—Mary Catharine Waage (1877—1970).
The information I’ve found regarding Catherine Lydia Bobb is not well-documented in my Reunion file. Please consider it unproven supposition and take it with a grain of salt.
Catherine Lydia Bobb, daughter of Daniel Bobb Jr. and Anna Herb, was born 5 Nov 1805 in Hereford Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. She died 16 Mar 1859. About 1836, she married Henry M. Eshbach, most likely in Bucks or Lehigh County. In 1850, they were living in Salisbury Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania where Henry was an innkeeper.10 To the best of my knowledge, Catherine and Henry had children: Amanda (1838—?) married Rev. Jacob Kehm, Anna Maria (1841—?), Reihel (1843—?), Lydia S. (1845—1910), Rufus (1847—aft 1870), and Elias (1852—?).
My Dad’s Matrilineal Line
Nora Malinda Houdeshell, daughter of George W. Houdeshell and Lovina Caroline Force, was born 25 Oct 1891 in Wooster, Cameron County, Pennsylvania and died 11 May 1965 in Pine Glen, Burnside Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania.11 She married Clyde L. Hoover 16 Apr 1908 in Dubois, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania.12 Nora and Clyde had 12 children.
Lovina Caroline Force, daughter of Jefferson Force and Susan L. Mulhollan, was born 28 Jan 1872 and died 28 Oct 1964 in Pine Glen, Burnside Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania.13 She married 20 Jun 1890 George W. Houdeshell.14 Lovey and George had 12 children: Joseph (1890—1890), Nora Malinda (1891—1965), Wilhelmina (1893—1958), Ida Rachel (1896—1950), Anna Belle (1897—1924), Carrie Edna (1900—1989), Wesley Irvin (1902—1903), Thelma Mae (1904—2001), Millard Franklin (1907—1994), William Arthur (1910—1987), Martha Rebecca (1910—bef 1980), and Georgia Caroline (1914—1989).
Susan L. Mulhollan, daughter of John Mulhollan and Emily Boileau, was born 14 Jul 1841 and died 17 Oct 1917 in Pine Glen, Burnside Township, Centre County, Pennsylvania.15 She married Jefferson Force/Forcy 22 Mar 1857. They had 14 children: Wilhelmina (1857—1921) married Robert A. Askey, Catherine E. (1859—1899) married Albert Gilmore, Hannah (1861—1938) married Johnson Watson, Agnes E. (1863—1934) married John Thomas Fye, Carrie Amanda (1865—1934) married William Henry Meeker, Martin (1868—1945) married Delilah Hamilton, John C. (1870—1890), Lovina Caroline (1872—1964), Mary Alice (1873—1913) married Richard Whiles, Martha Ellen (1875—1934) married Jacob Whiles and Wilson Smeal, Lucy Malinda (1876—1960) married William Emerick and John Kein, George W. (1878—1878), William E. (1883—1883), and Albert M. (1884—1884).
Emily Boileau, supposedly the daughter of Daniel Boileau and Mary Robertson, was born circa 1805 and died 27 Jun 1842, possibly at Milesburg, Centre County, Pennsylvania.16 She married John Mulhollan 21 Aug 1823. The couple had 8 children that I know of: Daniel B. (1822—1907), James E. (1823—?), Roland (1831—?), Harriet (ca 1834—?), Emily Jane (ca 1836—?), Sarah A. (ca 1838—?), Mary Ann (ca 1839—?), and Susan L. (1841—1917). There is a break of 8 years between the birth of James E. and Roland; it’s possible that there were more children.
And that’s as far as I can go in these matrilineal lines. For some reason, I thought I’d taken all my lines further back than this, but apparently I still have a bit of work to do. Maybe I should add researching my matrilineal lines to my genealogy goals for 2012.
What have you found for your matrilineal lines?
- Mildred Esther Wieder, birth certificate no. 1977280-1912 (1912), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Vital Records, New Castle ↩
- Mildred Esther Wieder, death certificate (2002), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Vital Records, New Castle ↩
- Montgomery County Marriage Book, no. 60995, Collection of Kristen Hocker ↩
- Mary C. Wieder, death certificate no. 10692670 (1970), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle ↩
- “Baptismal Certificate – Mary Catherine Waage,” 29 Nov 1877, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, Collection of Kristen Hocker. ↩
- Mary C. Wieder, death certificate ↩
- “Edwin Wieders Are Celebrating Wedding Date,” The Morning Call, Allentown, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, 19 Apr 1954, Page 18, Collection of Kristen Hocker. ↩
- Lydia S. Waage, death certificate no.50151 (1910), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle ↩
- Ruoff, Henry Wilson Ph.d, editor, Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Montgomery County Pennsylvania, Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County, Together with an Introductory Historical Sketch (Philadelphia: Biographical Publishing Company, 1895), page unknown ↩
- Henry M. Eshbach household, 1850 United States Census, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Salisbury Township, page 14, dwelling 198, family 205, lines 24-42; “U.S. Census Population Schedule, 1850″ index and images, (https://www.familysearch.org/ ”FamilySearch”) from United States Census Office. 7th Census. Digital images of originals housed at the National Archives, Washington, D.C.. FHL microfilm. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. ↩
- Nora M. Hoover, death certificate file no. 1312278 (1965), Pennsylvania Department of Health—Vital Statistics, New Castle. ↩
- Clyde L. Hoover and Nora M. Houdeshell, Application for Marriage file no. 15102 (1908), Clearfield County Clerk of the Orphans Court, Clearfield, Pennsylvania, micropublication Roll 7352 (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania State Archives), Page 50. ↩
- Lovina Houdeshell, death certificate no. 094304-64 (1964), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle. ↩
- Chambers, Cordes W., The Mountaintop through Newspaper Accounts – Miscellaneous, Volume V, page 50 ↩
- Susan L. Force, death certificate no 110940 (1917), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health—Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle. ↩
- Bugash, Linda Tyson, “Clyde L Hoover – Nora Melinda Houdeshell Families History,” August 1999 ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Matrilineal Monday,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 10 Nov 2012 (http://www.krishocker.com/matrilineal-monday/ : accessed 22 May 2015).
Content copyright © 2012 Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.