According to her death certificate, Lydia (Eshbach) Waage’s parents were Henry Eshbach and Lydia Bobb. Henry was born 23 April 1807 in Hereford Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania and died 18 August 1872, quite likely in Selinsgrove, Snyder County, Pennsylvania where he had been a bartender 2 years previously. He was buried at Pennsburg Reformed Church cemetery, Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Henry was at various times a tailor, an innkeeper, and a bartender.
About 1836, Henry married Catherine Lydia Bobb, daughter of Daniel and Anna Margaret (Herb) Bobb Jr., of Hereford Township. She was born 6 November 1805 and died 16 March 1859. She was buried at Pennsburg Reformed Church cemetery.
After Lydia’s death in 1859, Henry moved his family to Lancaster Borough. He may have married again as there was a 46 year-old Maria living in the household with the family in 1860.
To the best of my knowledge, Henry and Lydia had children:
- Amanda Catharine Eshbach (27 Feb 1838—23 Jan 1904), married Rev. Jacob Kehm
- Anna Maria Eshbach (3 Apr 1841—5 Jan 1908), married John Troxel
- Reichel Eshbach (1 Feb 1843—bet 25 Jun & 1 Jul 1862), Reichel died during the Seven Days Battles at Richmond during the Civil War.
- Lydia S. Eshbach (3 Oct 1845—7 May 1910), married Dr. Charles T. Waage
- Rufus Thomas Eshbach (17 Mar 1847–17 Dec 1912), married Jane Wylam
- Elizabeth Eshbach (ca 1848—?)
- Elias Eshbach (ca 1852—?)
The first five children are all included in Rev. Fretz’s A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Christian and Hans Meyer and Other Pioneers. Elizabeth and Elias are not. It’s possible that they are Henry’s step-children, if he did, in fact, marry again after Lydia’s death, but before the 1860 census.
Henry and Lydia (Bobb) Eshbach were my 3x great grandparents.
This post is part of an ongoing, blogging challenge entitled 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, created by Amy Crow of No Story Too Small. Participants must write about one ancestor every week. This is my eighteenth 52 Ancestors post and part of week twenty-eight.
- Pennsylvania Department of Health, Certificate of death no. 50151 (1910), Lydia S. Waage; photocopy, Bureau of Vital Statistics, New Castle. ↩
- Henry M Eshbach gravestone, Find a Grave, Inc., Findagrave.com, photograph (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 6 Jul 2014), Gravestone for “Henry M Eshbach (1807-1872), Memorial No. 77113023, Records of Pennsburg United Church of Christ Cemetery, Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA;” photograph © Lostnfog. ↩
- H.A. Bolig household, 1870 United States Federal Census, Synder County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, post office: Selinsgrove, Selinsgrove Borough, page 12 (written), dwelling 85, family 98; index and image, FamilySearch, “United States Census, 1870” (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZ28-22H : accessed 01 Feb 2014); citing NARA micropublication M593, FHL microfilm 000552950. ↩
- Rev. A.J. Fretz, A Genealogical Record of the Descendants of Christian and Hans Meyer and Other Pioneers (Harleysville, PA: News Printing House, 1896), page 523-524. ↩
- Henry M. Eshback household, 1850 United States Federal Census, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Salisbury Township, page 14A, dwelling 198, family 205; image, Internet Archive, “Population schedules of the seventh census of the United States, 1850, Pennsylvania” (http://archive.org/stream/populationschedu0792unix#page/n30/mode/1up : accessed 11 Apr 2013); citing NARA micropublication M432, roll 792. ↩
- 1870 United States Federal Census, H.A. Bolig household. ↩
- Lydia Bobb Eshbach gravestone, Find a Grave, Inc., Findagrave.com, photograph (http://www.findagrave.com : accessed 6 Jul 2014), Gravestone for “Lydia Eshbach (1808-1859), Memorial No. 77112761, Records of Pennsburg United Church of Christ Cemetery, Pennsburg, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA;” photograph © Lostnfog. ↩
- Henry M. Eshbach household, 1860 United States Federal Census, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Lancaster Borough (N. W. Ward), page 517, dwelling 649, family 653; index and image, Ancestry, “1860 United States Federal Census” (https://ancestry.com: accessed Feb 2012); citing NARA micropublication M653, roll 1126. ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “52 Ancestors: Henry Moyer Eshbach (1807-1872),” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 3 Aug 2014 (http://www.krishocker.com/52-ancestors-henry-moyer-eshbach-1807-1872/ : accessed 22 Dec 2014).
Content copyright © Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.