Peter3 Purvis Bonnington (William2, Robert1) was born ca 1844 in Galashiels, Selkirk, Scotland, son of William and Margaret (Purves/Fairborn) Bonnington.1 Peter died in Mayburn, Loanhead, Lasswade Parish, Edinburgh, Scotland, on 16 Sep 1891; he was 47.2 He was enumerated with his family on the 1851 census for Galashiels, Selkirk, Scotland, at age 8; the 1861 census for Junipergreen, Colinton, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, at age 18; the 1871 census for Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland, at age 28; the census for Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland in 1881; the census for Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland, in 1891. Peter’s occupation was listed variously as carpenter or joiner (journeyman).
On 17 Jun 1864 when Peter Purvis Bonnington was 20, he married Elizabeth Buchanan, daughter of James Buchanan (ca 1812/22—17 Apr 1888) and Sarah Craig (ca 1809—bet 1851-1861), in Bloomyhall, Junipergreen, Colinton, Midlothian, Scotland.3,4 Elizabeth was born ca 1845/1847. Lanarkshire, Scotland is the most often given location for her birth place, but other places include Ireland, Shotts Parish in Lanarkshire, Neilston in Renfrewshire, Chapelhall in Lanarkshire, and Monkland in Lanarkshire. Elizabeth died of a cerebral hemorrhage in Crown Terrace, Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland on 13 May 1928; she was 83.5
Elizabeth was enumerated with her family in the 1851 census for Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland, at age 6; as a single woman working as a dairymaid in the 1861 census for High Church, Edinburgh, Scotland, age 16; with her husband in the 1871 census for Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland, age 26; with her husband in the 1881 census for Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland; with her husband the 1891 census for Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland; with her family the 1901 census for Midlothian, Scotland, at age 56.
Peter and Elizabeth had the following children:
- Eliza4 Craig Bonnington (1866—1946) married William Smith (1851—1905), son of James Smith and Isabella Aitken, on 12 Dec 1882 in The Manse, Uphall Parish, Linlithgowshire, Scotland, and married second Robert O. Cochrane ca 1909 in Harrisburg, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania.6 This couple had children: Elizabeth “Lizzie (1884—1884), James (1885—1905?), Elizabeth Marian (1887—1973), William M. (1892—?), Isabella Aiken (1893—1962), and Robert Thomas Alexander (1899—1970).
- Margaret Bonnington (1868—1943) married David Simpson (1867–1933), son of William Simpson and Margaret Russell, on 31 Jan 1890 in Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland.7 They had at least two children: Elizabeth (1891/1—?) and William Bonnington (1897—?). This couple both died in Prestonpans and Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland.
- William James Bonnington (1871-1945) married Robina Wait, daughter of John Scott Waite and Agnes Dickie, on 12 Aug 1898 in Sproutston, Greenhead, Edinburgh, Scotland.8 They had at least four children: Agnes (1899—?), Douglas (1900-1972), Robert Craig (1907—1983), and Elizabeth “Betsy” Buchanan (1912—?). This couple moved to Argyllshire where William was a master plumber.
- Peter Bonnington (1873—1956) married Christina “Chrissie” Isabella Graham Law (1886—1939), daughter of David Law and Isabella Garvies, on 2 Dec 1914 in Morningside, Edinburgh, Scotland. They had at least one child: Robert Graham Bonnington.
- Alexander Bonnington (1875-1964) married twice, first to Christina Peace on 27 Jan 1899 in Loanhead, Lasswade, Edinburgh, Scotland, and second to Martha Krich about 1924 in West Virginia.9 Alex had three children: James A. (5 Nov 1900—27 Mar 1990), Alexandria Marguerite (9 Nov 1913—?) and Alexander Douglas. Alexander immigrated first to Ontario, Canada before 1913, then to the United States at the end of 1915.
- Robert Bonnington (1878—1879)
- Robert Bonnington (1881—1939) married Jessie Hunter Crawford Alexander, daughter of James Alexander and Jessie Blackwood, on 8 Jun 1910 at the Carlton Hotel, Edinburgh, Scotland. The couple resided in Canongate and Portobello, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. They had a daughter Elizabeth Winifred (1917—2001), and likely had other children, perhaps Jessie May (1911—2003).
- Craig Bonnington (1885—1959) married Isabella Mason Kinghorn, daughter of John Kinghorn and Annie Sharp, on 11 Mar 1909 in Portobello, Midlothian, Scotland. This couple had children: Craig (1909—1909), Craig Kinghorn (1911—1980), and Elizabeth. Family members moved to Auckland, New Zealand circa 1958.
- Peter Bonnington, death certificate no. 158 (1891), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland; extracted 12 Aug 2002, extract no. 75198; William Bonnington, death certificate (1885); There is some debate about the surname of William’s first wife. Peter reported it as Fairborn on his father’s death certificate. However, it is listed as Purvis on Peter’s marriage record in 1864. ↩
- Peter Bonnington, death certificate. ↩
- Eliza Craig Bonnington, birth certificate no. 81 (1866), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland; extracted 28 Aug 2001, extract no. 236828. 17 Jun 1864 in Colinton. ↩
- Peter Bonnington and Elizabeth Buchanan, marriage record no. 14 (1864), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland; extraction no. 59479, extracted 6 Sep 2001. ↩
- Eliza Craig Bonnington, birth certificate no. 81 (1866). ↩
- Eliza Craig Bonnington, birth certificate no. 81 (1866) ↩
- David Simpson and Margaret Bonnington, marriage record (1890), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland, extract number 70399, extracted 12 Aug 2002. ↩
- William James Bonnington and Robina Wait, marriage record (1898), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland, extract number 70401, extracted 12 Aug 2002). ↩
- Alexander Bonnington and Christina Peace, marriage record (1899), General Records Office, New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland, extract number 70400, extracted 12 Aug 2002; Alexander Bonnington household, 1920 US census, South Charlestown, Kanawha county, West Virginia, Enumeration district 123, Page 190, Sheet 17B, Line 94; National Archives micropublication T625, roll 1958. ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Peter Purvis Bonnington,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 12 Dec 2012 (http://www.krishocker.com/family-group-sheets/peter-purvis-bonnington/ : accessed 7 Jul 2015).
Content copyright © 2012 Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.