Once again it’s time for Surname Saturday. I’ve finished all my great great grandfathers, so it’s time to move back a generation This week I’m writing about my 3x great grandfather, Samuel Krehl Leedy, father of my 2x great grandmother Lillian Ainsley (Leedy) Hocker.
Samuel was born 30 October 1829, most likely in Buffalo Township, Perry County, Pennsylvania. He was the son of John and Catharine (Krehl) Leedy. Samuel died 19 March 1912 in Upper Mifflin Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania and was buried on the 22nd in Hill Cemetery near Buffalo, Perry County, Pennsylvania. He died of apoplexy. Samuel was a farmer.
About 1856, he married Sarah Parsons, presumably the daughter of Anthony and Catharine (Bowerman) Parsons, of Perry County. She was born in Feb 1833. I have death dates for her from 1926 through 1930, but nothing proven. She died sometime after the 1920 census enumeration where she was living with her daughter Grace and her husband William Hunt.
Samuel and Sarah (Parsons) Leedy had children:
- Wilhelmina Leedy was born ca 1857 in Perry County. Minnie married Harry Delcamp and was living in Philadelphia in 1932 when her sister Mary (Leedy) Sheesley died.
- John Harbough Leedy was born 29 Oct 1858 in Perry County and died 2 Jun 1936. He married Emma Catharine Rouch on 17 Jan 1883.
- Kirk Leedy died Apr 1859 and was buried in Hill Cemetery.
- Lillian Ainsley Leedy was born 4 May 1861 in Perry County and died 20 Jan 1942 in Cumberland County. She married about 1881 Albert Curtin Hocker of Swatara Township, Dauphin County.
- Mary Leedy was born in Nov 1863 and died in 1932. She married Hiram Sheesley on 25 Feb 1886 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She died Saturday, 26 November 1932 in Fort Hunter, Pennsylvania.
- Grace Leedy was born 6 Oct 1865 in Perry County and died 6 Jun 1935 in Harrisburg. She married William Hunt on 27 Oct 1887 in Harrisburg.
- Samuel Kirk Leedy was born 20 Nov 1867 in Perry County and died 28 Jun 1946 in Roxbury, Pennsylvania. He married Mary (___).
- Ulysses S. Grant Leedy was born in 1871 in Perry County and died 14 May 1956 in Cumberland County. Grant married Mary C. (___) about 1905.
- Harry Leedy was born 28 Sep 1875 and died 2 Aug 1876. He is buried with Kirk Leedy in Hill Cemetery.
- Samuel’s death certificate states he was born 30 Oct 1830. The 1900 census, however, states that he was born Oct 1829. His age in census records from 1860 through 1910 is consistent with the 1829 birth year, so I’ve elected to use it. ↩
- Samuel K. Leedy, Certificate of Death, File Number 26764 (1912), photocopy, Pennsylvania Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, New Castle, Pennsylvania. ↩
- Samuel K Leedy household, 1900 United States Federal Census, Perry County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Watts Township (New Buffalo Borough), enumeration district 159, sheet 2B, dwelling 37, family 37, lines 59-60; index and images, FamilySearch, “United States Census, 1900” (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M373-BC6 : accessed 19 Nov 2012); citing NARA micropublication T623, FHL microfilm 1241451. ↩
- William Hunt household, 1920 United States Federal Census, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, population schedule, Lower Allen Township, enumeration district 21, sheet 3B, dwelling 72, family 77; digital image, Internet Archive, “14th census of population, 1920 (microform)” (http://archive.org/stream/14thcensusofpopu1556unit#page/n1271/mode/1up : accessed 21 Nov 2012); citing NARA micropublication T625, roll 1556. ↩
Cite This Page:
Kris Hocker, “Surname Saturday: Samuel Krehl Leedy,” /genealogy the genealogy & family research site of Kris Hocker, modified 22 Apr 2013 (http://www.krishocker.com/surname-saturday-samuel-krehl-leedy/ : accessed 22 Oct 2014).
Content copyright © Kris Hocker. Please do not copy without prior permission, attribution, and link back to this page.